Questions and answers
Q: How can new students learn about IT services at CUHK and online class arrangement?
- New students can refer to ITSC Orientation Video. To learn about eLearning tools at CUHK, they can join our online sessions: https://cuhk202021term1training.sched.com/
- Teachers, supporting staff and TAs are advised to stay tuned to eLearning Newsletter and disseminate the information to students if needed. Some teachers and TA/Support Staff would use Announcement on Blackboard for communication.
Use of CUHK Systems in China
Q: Can students use CUHK systems in China? What can they do if they encounter difficulties?
- It depends on various factors (e.g. network service provider, network performances in different cities). Students in China are advised to check if they can use the systems as early as possible. They should report their difficulties to their teachers and/programme office for support if needed.
- ITSC provides special support for users in China (VPN, Blackboard (China)). Details will be released soon.
Q: Any sharing sessions or workshops about online assessment?
- Please consider joining PDC Workshop 4: Online Assessment, and / or visit Teaching and Learning Innovation Expo 2019/20
Q: Any eLearning tools that help me to grade written assignments online?
- Gradescope (Pilot) is the potential tool. If you are interested, please join the online session delivered by the vendor on 18 Aug 2020 or 24 Aug 2020: https://cuhk202021term1training.sched.com/
Q: Can students access VeriGuide in China?
- It depends on various factors (e.g. network service provider, network performances in different cities). Students in China are advised to check if they can use the system as early as possible. They should report their difficulties to their teachers and/programme office for support if needed.
- Contact VeriGuide Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org if needed.
Q: How to release my Zoom meeting links to sit-in students (e.g. in add / drop period)?
- For students who would like to sit in your class, they should contact you / TA / Support Staff / Programme Office for the meeting links.
- If you need to put your meeting links on your programme’s / course’s webpage, you are strongly recommended to set your meetings to “Only authenticated users can join (CUHK only)” and enable Waiting Room.
Q: Some students need to join Zoom meetings before their student accounts are ready. Any recommendations?
- “Only authentication users can join (CUHK only)” should not be enabled in this case.
Q: What are the differences between meeting and webinar?
- Please refer to Zoom Help Center: Meeting and webinar comparison
Q: Can we use webinar?
- Please go through Zoom Help Center: Meeting and webinar comparison first and see if webinar fits your event. Please note that you can request to increase the meeting capacity up to 1000 as well if needed. Here are some suggestions about large meeting settings.
- If webinar is preferred, normally we can assign a webinar license for your testing for 1-3 days. The license should be used for testing only. Please also let us (email@example.com) know the below information:
- The user account (@cuhk.edu.hk email address) which we should assign the license for testing
- Name of the event
- Expected number of attendees
- Block grant or Non block grant?
- Free or charged?
- Webinar license can be arranged by request free of charge for one-time usage. Here are the suggested webinar settings.
- Your unit can get a webinar license for regular use if needed. Please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information (e.g. license fee).
Q: How long can we own a webinar license?
- Due to the limited number of licenses, please return the license to us once after the event.
Q: Can I use registration to set whitelists for my meetings or webinars?
- No. The registrants can pass the links to others, and others can join the meetings or webinars.
Q: Can TA/Support Staff manage the Zoom cloud recordings (e.g. download the videos and upload them to Panopto) for me?
- If you schedule your meetings via https://cuhk.zoom.us, only you (the host) can access the cloud recordings. Your TA/Support Staff cannot access them.
- If needed, you can consider sharing the recording links (set as “Viewers can download”) with them. If so, remember to set password and not to share the links with students as they are downloadable. For more: Zoom Help Center: Managing cloud recordings
- Please also note that Zoom cloud recordings can be uploaded to Panopto (Cloud) automatically as well. The user guide will be released soon.
Q: How to share the recordings of my Zoom meetings to my class?
- There are two methods:
- Comparison between the two methods:
- Share Zoom Cloud Recording links
- Access restricted to my class? No. Anyone with the links can view the recordings.
- Can users in China access? Relatively stable.
- Any analytics? Access count only.
- Upload to Panopto (Cloud)
- Access restricted to my class? Yes. The video links are only restricted to users in your Blackboard courses.
- Can users in China access? Performances varies among different cities and/or network service providers.
- Any analytics? Yes. Panopto Support: Learn About Folder and Session Level Statistics
- Share Zoom Cloud Recording links