Questions and answers
Q: Which tool should be used for online meeting, Microsoft Teams or Zoom?
- Both tools are available at CUHK. One of the factors you should consider is users’ familiarity with the tools. You are advised to try out them and/or go through the information below to see which tool suits your needs:
- ITSC Website: Microsoft Teams
- ITSC Website: Cloud Meeting Solution – Zoom
- If your students have any concerns about using either one of the tools, you can consider switching to another one as well.
Q: What are the best practices for online meeting?
- Please go through the best practices regarding online meeting security: ITSC Website: User Trainings: Information Security Best Practices
- If possible, hosts can include ‘co-host’ in their meetings for support (e.g. answering chats, lower hands).
Q: Can I install a webcam on my office computer?
- Yes. We recommend selecting a USB webcam (Full HD 1080p). Most webcams in the market are plug-and-play.
Q: I want to schedule a meeting with a class in Teams? How?
- Please refer to Microsoft Support: Schedule a meeting in Teams
- DO NOT invite students to join the class MS Teams meeting using calendar invitation as students can then use the reuse the recipient list of the calendar invitation to email other students in the class.
Q: Where can I learn about the updates of Teams?
- Please refer to Microsoft Education Blog: Microsoft Teams
Information for New Teachers
Q: Any online sessions about education technology / eLearning for newcomers?
- Yes. You are welcome to join the sessions listed on https://cuhk202021term1training.sched.com
- If you would like to learn more about pedagogy, please join Professional Development Course (PDC)
Q: When will my CUHK account be ready for trying out the tools?
- Please contact HRO and/or your unit for further checking.
Q: Which eLearning tool(s) should I use for teaching?
- First, plan your class activities.
- Then, understand the purpose(s) and features of the available IT tools. Figure out why you choose to apply that/those tool(s) in your class. You can contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) for discussions, and/or try out them if needed.
- In addition, you are advised to consider if your students are familiar with the tool(s) as well. If needed, please consider providing user guides and/or introductory session(s) about the tool(s) that you are going to use.
Q: Any tools that help me to grade handwritten assignments online?
- We are introducing Gradescope (Pilot). For more, please join the online session delivered by the vendor on 18 Aug 2020 or 24 Aug 2020: https://cuhk202021term1training.sched.com