Questions and answers
Q: What are the best practices for holding secure online meetings?
- Please refer to ITSC Website: User Trainings: Information Security Best Practices
Q: Should I record my online sessions for students to review?
- It is up to you (the teacher). If you would like to record your sessions, please inform your students about the arrangement. Make sure they understand that the chat, audio, video, and screen shared might be recorded.
Q: I have students from countries in different time zones. Any suggestions?
- This is one of the challenges of synchronous learning. One of the suggestions is to include asynchronous learning activities for collaboration and interaction, such as online discussion forum, wiki.
Q: Can hosts limit who can share their videos?
- No. Hosts can only stop video. For more: Zoom Help Center: Managing participants in a meeting
Q: Can hosts disable participants from using chat in meetings?
- Yes. For more: Zoom Help Center: In-meeting security options
Q: Why should hosts enable Waiting Room for their meetings?
- First, Waiting Room allows hosts to control who join the meeting.
- Also, hosts can put participants who disrupt their meetings back to the Waiting Room. For more: Zoom Help Center: Waiting Room
Q: I am new to Waiting Room. Where can I learn more about this feature?
- Please refer to Zoom Help Center: Waiting Room
Q: Where to find user guides about Zoom?
- Please access https://www.cuhk.edu.hk/eLearning. You can find more users guides about other tools (e.g. Blackboard, Panopto) as well.
- Please also refer to Zoom Help Center
Q: How to release my meetings links to students (including sit-in students)?
- You can make use of Blackboard Announcement and its “Email Announcement” feature. For more: Blackboard Help: Announcement
- You can also consider sending the links by email via CUSIS.
- For students who would like to sit in your class, they should contact you / TA / Support Staff / Programme Office for the meeting links.
- If you need to put your meeting links on your programme’s / course’s webpage, you are strongly recommended to set your meetings to “Only authenticated users can join (CUHK only)” and enable Waiting Room.
Q: I am asking my students to deliver group presentations? How to do that online?
- Current students can schedule/host Zoom meetings. You can consider asking students to record (cloud recording) their presentations with Zoom, then share their recording links with you. For more:
- There are other ways as well. Contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) for discussions if needed.
Q: How to conduct a one-hour closed-book essay question type test on Blackboard?
- This is very challenging. The network has to be stable throughout the period. Monitoring students is difficult as well. You can go through the sharing sessions in Teaching and Learning Innovation Expo 2019/20 to learn more about the challenges and suggestions regarding online assessment. You can join PDC Workshop 4: Online Assessment as well.
- Please consider other assessment methods. If you still would like to conduct the online exam, you are advised to set up mock exams for students to get familiar with the question types and interface, and check if their IT equipment (e.g. network, computer settings) are ready for online exams. Please also stay tuned to our eLearning Newsletter for any updates.
Q: Can I grade assignments anonymously on Blackboard?
- Yes. Please refer to Blackboard Help: Anonymous Grading