- The University has selected Zoom as the primary platform to support synchronous teaching and learning activities. Zoom is trusted by universities and well received by users around the world (including mainland China). Despite its rich features, most users find it very easy to use.
- All CUHK Staff and Student users can login CUHK ZOOM Portal (https://cuhk.zoom.us) to schedule and host ZOOM meetings of up to 300 participants.
- Special arrangement has to be made by ITSC to allocate a large meeting license, which allows up to 1000 participants. Apart from “Meeting”, ZOOM can conduct “Webinar” which allows up to 10,000 participants. “Meeting” and “Webinar” have different functionality. For more about special license, please refer to this page.
System Requirements (e.g. bandwidth) and Equipment Suggestions:
Time limits for idle meetings
- Please refer to Zoom Support: Understanding time limits for Zoom Meetings
- 1 host and 1 or more participants joined (including those who joined the waiting room and were not admitted). Only one person remains in the meeting. The meeting will end 40 minutes later if no one else joins.
- Please consider locking the meeting once it is started if you would only like to have one host in the meeting (e.g., for recording purpose and do not expect any participants to join).
Special Notes for China Access
- If users in Mainland China cannot access https://cuhk.zoom.us, please try the Pilot CUHK VPN Add-On service.
- In case users are located in China and have problem in accessing 'https://cuhk.zoom.us/...' when viewing ZOOM recordings, please try using 'https://cuhk.zoom.com.cn/...' (e.g. https://cuhk.zoom.com.cn/signin, https://zoom.com.cn/download)
- zoom.cn has NO relationship with the Zoom service subscribed by CUHK
Schedule a meeting
- Method 1: Via Zoom LTI on Blackboard. For more, please refer to CUHK EdTech Help Center: Blackboard's ZOOM Integration
- Method 2: Via CUHK Zoom Portal (https://cuhk.zoom.us). For more, please refer to Zoom Help Center: Scheduling meetings (Web)
- For more about the meeting options, please go through CUHK EdTech Help Center: Scheduling meetings
- Please note the Meeting ID expiration rules: Zoom Help Center: Meeting and Webinar IDs
Sign in Zoom client to start a meeting
- Download and Install Zoom client from Zoom: Download Center. You are advised to use Zoom desktop client.
- Before you start the meeting, please check if the client is updated. For more: Zoom Help Center: Downloading the latest Zoom update
- To sign in Zoom client:
- Click “Sign In”.
- Select “SSO” for 'sign in with'.
- Enter ‘cuhk’ as the company domain, and click “Continue”. Login via CUHK Login with CUHK email alias and OnePass password.
- Click “Launch Zoom” or open Zoom.
- Zoom - CUHK Login - Desktop Client (Win)
- Zoom - CUHK Login (iPhone)
- Zoom - CUHK Login & ad hoc Meeting - Android
Start a meeting
- After signing in, select the meeting under “Meetings” > “Upcoming” and click “Start”.
- Test your speaker and microphone or Join with Computer Audio.
- Please check “Security” for the in-meeting security options as well: Zoom Help Center: In-meeting security options.
To learn about the features of Zoom Meetings, please refer to CUHK Help Center: ZOOM: Features
ZOOM Help Center and Zoom Blog
- Schedule a meeting
- Join a meeting (Join a test meeting)
- Host and co-host controls in a meeting
- Zoom Support: Zoom Releases by Product
- More Zoom Support: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us
- Zoom Blog
- Introduction to Blackboard, Zoom and Panopto (Recording - 2022 Aug)
- Zoom for Teachers (1 hour, ZOOM walk-through) (Recording - 2021 Aug)
ZOOM Features Highlights (2021/22)
ZOOM Features Highlights (2020/21)
- ZOOM Accessibility - Automatic Transcripts
- ZOOM Integration in Blackboard Course
- ZOOM's Scheduling Tracking Fields
- uReply - Attendance Beta
- "Automatic upload of ZOOM cloud recording to Panopto Cloud" feature (requires Blackboard, and ZOOM)