Questions and answers
Zoom Webinar and Meeting
Q: What are the differences between Zoom webinar and meeting?
- Please refer to Zoom Help Center: Meeting and webinar comparison
Q: Can I enable “Only authenticated users can join” to restrict a webinar or meeting to “CUHK only”?
- Yes, you can.
- Please note that you have to turn on “Only authenticated users can join meetings” under https://cuhk.zoom.us > “Settings”. Make sure that “Meeting Authentication Options” is changed to “CUHK Only (Default)”. Then enable “Only authenticated users can join meetings” when you schedule the webinar or meeting. You should see “CUHK only” after enabling this option.
- Please also note that users in China may have difficulty in joining the webinar or meeting that requires CUHK Login.
Q: How to take attendance for a Zoom webinar or meeting?
- If you have enabled “Only authenticated users can join meetings” (CUHK only) for the webinar or meeting, you can access the report with details about each attendee (e.g. @link email addresses that are used for accessing the webinar or meeting). For more:
- Zoom Help Center: Webinar Reporting
- Zoom Help Center: Getting started with reports
- Or, you can make use of other tools, such as Blackboard Test, uReply for assessing students as well.
Q: Can chat be disabled?
- Yes, the host can do so. For more: Zoom Help Center: Controlling and disabling in-meeting chat
Q: Can I enable waiting room to avoid someone intruding on a webinar?
- There is no waiting room for webinar. You can make use of Practice session if needed. For more: Zoom Help Center: Webinar practice session
- Moreover, by default, attendees cannot share audio, screen or video to disturb other attendees. For more: Zoom Help Center: Roles in a webinar
Q: Are attendees’ cameras turned off by default?
- Yes, they are off. For more: Zoom Help Center: Roles in a webinar
Q: Can host and co-host promote attendees to panelists and demote panelists to attendees?
- Yes, they can. For more: Zoom Help Center: Managing participants in a webinar
Q: What are the differences between Q&A and chat?
- Please refer to the below and have hands-on experiences on both features.
- Zoom Help Center: Getting started with Question & Answer
- Zoom Help Center: Using webinar chat
Q: Is Q&A downloadable in webinar?
- Yes, it can be downloaded by the host who scheduled the webinar. For more: Zoom Help Center: Webinar Reporting
Q: Can I be the host of several meetings simultaneously?
- Each ZOOM user account can host one meeting at a time. You need to apply for accounts if you need to do so. For more:
- Zoom Help Center: Can I Host Concurrent Meetings?
- ITSC Website: Department / Project Account
- ITSC Website: External User Account
Q: Beside the host, can other roles (such as co-host) manage breakout rooms in a Zoom meeting?
- No. Only the host can manage the breakout rooms. For more: Zoom Help Center: Managing breakout rooms
Q: Is it possible to use Panopto to record Zoom meetings or webinars?
- This is not recommended. Please consider uploading the Zoom recordings to Panopto. To learn how to upload videos to Panopto: Panopto Support: How to Upload Video Files Using the Create Button
Q: Can I control when to release my Panopto videos?
- Yes, you can. For more: Panopto Support: How to Publish Videos Using the Availability Workflow
Support and Contingency Plans
Q: Are Microsoft Teams, Zoom and Google Meet supported by ITSC?
- Microsoft Teams and Zoom are supported by ITSC. For more:
- ITSC Website: Microsoft Teams
- ITSC Website: Cloud Meeting Solution – Zoom
Q: Can I request technical staff from ITSC stand by in my meeting or webinar?
- ITSC can provide technical advice and transfer knowledge before the event. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if needed.
Q: Would the classrooms be well-equipped with necessary devices for teachers to conduct online teaching on campus?
- Panopto, Zoom and webcam are available in classrooms supported by AVSU (Classroom Information).
- Teachers are advised to try out the software and AV equipment beforehand.
Q: I have a class and most students are from China. Are there any tools that can help them to access the course?
- Third Party VPN service and Blackboard (China) system are available to support students in Mainland China. If all the students of your class are in Mainland China, the University is evaluating some tools hosted in Mainland China (e.g. Rain Classroom). Please contact email@example.com for further information and support.
- For Rain Classroom, WeChat account is required.
Q: Any suggestions for contingency plans if Zoom meetings or webinars do not work on the spot?
- Please consider rescheduling the meeting or webinar, or using another tool (such as Microsoft Teams).