- Blackboard is a full-featured learning management system (LMS). It provides an integrated set of tools to support course delivery, learning communities, content management, and assessment. Teachers can set up courses in Blackboard for students to access learning materials, submit assignments, take part in discussions, take quizzes, etc., online.
- In addition to core features in Blackboard, teachers can also use systems and tools integrated with Blackboard conveniently from their Blackboard courses to support their teaching and students' learning needs.
- Online Meetings
- ZOOM Integration
- MS Teams Integration
- Blackboard's ZOOM Panopto Integration ("Automatic upload of ZOOM cloud recording to Panopto Cloud" feature; requests Blackboard, ZOOM, and Panopto Cloud)
- Video and Video Assignment (Panopto Cloud)
- Hand Written Assignment
- Questions & Answers
- Test & Exam
- Test/Exam question management
- Library's Reading List
- Further questions: Please contact the Faculty Liaison Librarians of your Department / School
Blackboard Challenge (a.k.a. 30min Quick Start)
- We encourage all new academic staff and TAs to first go through the quick start checklist to get familiar with the Blackboard system.
Blackboard Instructor Resources
- CUHK Blackboard Instructor Guide (this article)
- Quick Start Videos (YouTube videos)
- Quick Start Checklist for Staff
- Blackboard Assignments and Tests Training
- Summary (PDF)
- Recordings: Cantonese, English (Panopto videos)
- Blackboard Exam Trial Course (CU-ITSC-EXAM-TRIAL)
- Blackboard Test Quick Start Guide
- Blackboard Online Test Best Practice for teachers and supporting staff
- 2020 November: The Updated Content Editor in Blackboard Learn
Blackboard Online Training
- Introduction to Blackboard, Zoom and Panopto (Recording - 2022 Aug)
- Blackboard for Teachers (1 hour, ZOOM walk-through) (Recording - 2021 Aug)
- Managing Grades and Feedback on Blackboard (Recording - 2021 Aug)
- Blackboard: Quick Start for Original (2 hours, online, self-paced)
- Blackboard Level One: Learn Teaching Essentials for Original (6 hours, online, self-paced)
- Blackboard Level Two: Learn Advanced Teaching for Original (6 hours, online, self-paced)
Feature Highlights (2021/22)
Detailed step-by-step walk-through of everything
Access CUHK Blackboard system
Understand the interface
Common user management requests
- CUHK User Management Tool - Would like to add TAs / Co-teachers / Sit-in students / Audit students?
- Batch Enrollment Request - Would like to add users to a large number of Blackboard courses?
- Course Access Request - Need access to a Blackboard course? If you are the course TAs or the course supporting staff, request here.
Common course management requests
- Course Combine Request - Would like to use ONE Blackboard course to serve multiple class sections?
- Non-CUSIS Course Request - Would like to have a Blackboard course for teaching non-CUSIS listed courses?
- Batch Copy Course Request - Need to copy content from the course template to a large number of Blackboard courses?
Share course materials
- Please refer to CUHK EdTech Help Center: Sharing course materials on Blackboard
Create a supportive learning environment
- Please refer to CUHK EdTech Help Center: Creating a supportive learning environment on Blackboard
Open the Blackboard course to your students
- Suppose the course settings, content, and activities are ready now. It is time to allow students to access the course.
- Final review
- Student Preview - preview the course in student role and release the course for student access
- Double check the user list
- Make the Blackboard course available to students
- Inform the students
- Announcements - let students know that it is time to take part in the online activities (e.g. the self-introduction forum, go through the video and documents before class)
Online assessment and evaluation
- Please refer to CUHK EdTech Help Center: Online Assessment and Evaluation on Blackboard
- Related resources on eLearning@CUHK:
- Teaching with Tech Overview
- Learning with Tech Overview