While you can manage your breakout rooms during the meeting (or allow your participants to choose room), as the meeting host, you can plan ahead and assign your meeting participants into specific breakout rooms before your ZOOM meeting starts.
- Sign in to the CUHK Zoom web portal (https://cuhk.zoom.us) and schedule a meeting. If you have a scheduled meeting, go to the "Meetings" page and click on your scheduled meeting.
- In the Meeting Options section, select "Breakout Room pre-assign" and click "Import from CSV".
- Click "download" to download a sample CSV file you can fill out.
- Open the CSV file with spreadsheet software, such as Microsoft Excel. Fill in the Pre-assign Room Name column with the breakout room name, and the Email Address column with the assigned participant's email address. Save the file.
- Drag and drop the file, or browse to choose a file, on the web portal.
- The Participants are assigned to the Breakout Rooms, click “Save” to confirm.
- You can see that Breakout Rooms are created, click “Save” to save the meeting setting.
- Pre-assign students to Breakout Rooms with StudentID@link.cuhk.edu.hk (instead of email@example.com).
- Set the meeting to “Only authenticated users can join meetings: CUHK only”. Participants (students) will then need to use StudentID@link.cuhk.edu.hk to join the meeting and be assigned to the breakout rooms.
- Check the prerequisites for participating and managing Breakout Room:
- Zoom Help Center: Participating breakout rooms
- Zoom Help Center: Managing breakout rooms
- We suggest users to use the updated Desktop Client / Mobile App: Zoom: Download Center
- In case you notice participants are not assigned to the rooms in the meeting, try to use “Recover to pre-assigned rooms” under “Recreate” to see if it helps. For more: Zoom Help Center: Reverting to pre-assigned breakout rooms
For more, please refer to Zoom Help Center: Pre-assigning participants to breakout rooms